Purpose of job:
Poker dealers entertain guests by operating gaming tables by very specific rules. They deal cards and may handle large amounts of money. They work days, evenings, weekends and holidays, as casinos are often busiest after 9 - 5 working hours. They receive gratuities in addition to salary.
• Meet Poker Dealer licence requirements –maintain a valid Gaming Control Registration
• Reports to Poker Houseman/Supervisor
• Acquire technical gaming skills
• Know industry terms – improving communication with guest and co-workers
• Able to describe common table games
• Operate gambling tables and games such as Texas Hold’em Poker, Omaha and Seven-Card Stud.
• Ensure the rules of the game and house are being followed, determine winners, pay out winning bets, collect losing bets
• Conducts Table Game activities to ensure compliance with approved game rules;
• (FINTRAC) for the abatement of money laundering
• Projects the highest possible level of customer service/relations through friendly, courteous, knowledgeable and professional conduct;
• Controls table in the correct order of play and closing bets at the appropriate time;
• Ensures security of the table and the Chip tray;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Handling cash and payouts.
• Inform food and beverage staff when guests request F & B service.
• Inform Supervisor of guest complaints or problems.
• Must have Responsible Beverage and Responsible Gaming Training
• Must be physically capable (i.e. work shifts, stand for long period of time
• Handle repetitive physical motions for long periods of time
• Maintain health (i.e. wash hands regularly to prevent spread of germs
• Must be 19 years of age or older
Knowledge and Skills Required
• Be positive, energetic and enthusiastic
• Respectful (i.e. treat people fairly, considerate, do not be patronizing, use of proper language)
• Be sociable (i.e. friendly, interact with others, be approachable
• Interpersonal skills (i.e. confident, courteous, discreet, empathetic, impartial, patient, tactful, thick-skinned and tolerant)
• Professional (i.e. ambassador for the company and community, adaptable, reliable, maintain a positive attitude, take initiative and strive to improve skills)
• Maintain a professional appearance
• Communicate effectively
• Solve problems to improve guest satisfaction, encourage repeat business and maintain the integrity and reputation of the casino.
• Be a team player
• Manage stress
• Follow house policies and procedures, protecting guests, employees and the casino
• Adhere to employment policies
• Maintain confidentiality, protecting integrity of guests, employees and the casino.
• Know the level of your authority
• Comply with legislation – CSPP’s
• Provide Guest Services – meet guest’s needs
• Deal with or escalate guest complaints
• Manage Game Delivery (i.e. inform players of game rules and options, manage table, manage chip tray or float, process chip and cash transactions, accept gratuities, use technical skills, use official languages)
• Follow security procedures (i.e. follow shift procedures, opening procedures, closing procedures)
• Monitor Player behaviour, condition of cards, clear hands
• Mathematical skills and manual dexterity are required abilities for this position.
• A dealer must have a professional attitude and enjoy working with people.
• Cash handling experience is also necessary.
• Knowledge of the games is desired, as are communication and customer service skills.
• A secondary school diploma is preferred. Knowledge of the National Occupational Entry Level Skills Standards is an asset.
• Bilingualism (French, English) is preferred
• Must pass a table test (Texas Hold’em Poker)